Palestinian Foreign Ministry slams Peru for allowing its citizens to participate in genocide committed by Israeli forces
The Peruvian government has reportedly allowed its citizens to fight alongside Israeli occupation forces against the Palestinian people in Gaza, becoming the first nation to join the ongoing genocide in the besieged enclave.
Since October last year, nearly 27,000 Palestinians, the majority of them children and women, have been martyred by the Israeli forces in the strip.
The Palestinian Foreign Ministry Saturday slammed Peru for allowing its citizens to participate in the genocide committed by the Israeli occupation forces against the Palestinian territory.
The foreign ministry issued the statement followed by Peru’s condolences for a soldier killed during the war in the enclave, Al Jazeera reported.
In a tweet on its official handle, Peru’s Foreign Ministry said on Wednesday: “The Peruvian government regrets the death of Yuval Lopez, a Peruvian-Israeli citizen who served as a reservist in the Israeli Defense Forces”.
The Palestinian ministry said it expected Peru to “revoke the citizenship of its citizens who hold Israeli citizenship and are involved in the conflict, instead of offering condolences after their deaths and praising them”.
Palestine considered “these times crucial in determining countries’ actual positions on humanity, commitment to international law, and humanitarian law.”
A day earlier, the International Court of Justice had ordered Israel to take measures to prevent acts of genocide against Palestinians in Gaza.
A 17-judge bench headed by President of the Court Joan Donoghue announced the orders at The Hague, Netherlands that day.
The Court also ordered Israel to take immediate and effective steps to ensure the provision of urgently needed humanitarian aid and basic services in Gaza.
Israel has also been ordered to report to the court within one month. The case was moved by South Africa and was supported by Brazil, and several other countries including Pakistan.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, however, rejected the case as “outrageous” while Hamas hailed the ICJ ruling, saying it “contributes to isolating Israel and exposing its crimes in Gaza”.
“We expect Israel as a self-proclaimed democracy and a state that respects the rule of law to abide by the measures handed down,” South African President Cyril Ramaphosa said, expressing hope the decision will lead to a new diplomatic push to end the war.
Speaking after the ruling, Israel’s Defence Minister Yoav Gallant said their country “does not need to be lectured on morality.”
— Additional input from AFP